Engineering Specialist 3 – Permit Specialist
Oregon Department of Transportation
Delivery & Operations Division – Region 3
Bring your engineering experience to our team and become a permit specialist! In this role, you will write utility, road approach and miscellaneous permits for the district by investigating applications, preparing permits and monitoring and inspecting permitted uses. Apply today!
We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for our positions and hope you will join us on our path to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are an agency that embraces social equity through our values, strategic planning, and actions. Leaning into our equity priorities means we continually examine what we do, the impact we have, and our progress toward weaving social equity into who we are. To learn more about our social equity commitments, visit our Social Equity website.
A day in the life:
- Coordinate with internal and external professionals to ensure compliance with laws and plans.
- Attend meetings and help local planning departments with permits, plan reviews and recommendations.
- Provide forms and information to permit applicants.
- Process utility, road approach and other types of permits.
- Make recommendations on the advisability of granting permits.
- Conduct field visits and find solutions to meet the needs of applicants and agency requirements.
- Work with managers and others to research and resolve issues on right of way encroachments, illegal signs and other situations.
- Use engineering practices to review construction plans, calculations, locations and other data.
- Develop custom project provisions and specifications for permit requirements.
- Make final inspections, approve construction and assure highway facilities are restored to their original condition.
- Maintain records, files, maps, drawings and agreements for permits.
- Hybrid remote work options available! Work is performed in an office and in the field and may require working nights and weekends during emergencies, working around rough terrain, near hazardous traffic and working in inclement weather.
- To request a copy of the position description, which includes all duties and working conditions, please email ODOTRecruitment@odot.oregon.gov.
What’s in it for you:
- Work/life balance, 11 paid holidays a year, flexible work schedules, remote work opportunities, competitive benefits packages and so much more. Learn more about working at the Oregon Department of Transportation.
Five and one-half years (66 months) of sub-professional engineering experience.
An associate's degree in engineering technology from a recognized community college or technical school of engineering and four years of experience directly related to engineering.
An equivalent combination of education and experience (such as a bachelor’s degree in engineering plus two and one-half years’ engineering experience).
Driving is an essential function of this position. You must have a valid driver license and an acceptable driving record. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s). Your license does not have to be issued in Oregon to be considered.
What we’d like to see:
If you have these attributes, let us know in your application materials! It's how we will choose whom to move forward! You do not need to have all these qualities to be eligible for this position. We may also use transferable skills, experience, education and alignment with ODOT values to help us decide who will move forward.
- Experience reading plans, standard drawings and permits.
- Experience communicating with peers, managers and the public in a timely manner.
- Experience providing customer services to those who disagree with plans or projects.
- Demonstrated familiarity with computer programs to aid in researching tax lots and maps.
- Experience managing, prioritizing and completing multiple projects that require attention to detail and have conflicting deadlines.
- Experience working independently and strong time management skills.
Learn more and apply:
This recruitment closes at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 2, 2023.
Please note that we can only accept applications through our website.
Questions? Call 503-910-6372 or email ODOTRecruitmentCC@odot.oregon.gov.
ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer