Transportation Technician Trainee (40 Hour)
Transportation Technician Trainee (40 Hour)
Location: Rocky Hill, CT
Date Opened: 9/20/2023 12:00:00 AM
Salary: $51,502 - $71,112/year
Job Type: Open to the Public
Close Date: 10/3/2023 11:59:00 PM
Are you interested in an exciting promotional opportunity where you will receive on-the-job training in performing basic technical work in support of transportation projects? If so, read below to learn more!
The State of Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) is currently accepting applications from qualified individuals for a Transportation Technician Trainee position available in the Bureau of Engineering and Construction.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
Work for a Forbes top company - ‘Forbes’: State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule
A competitive starting salary
- Excellent state benefit package, including health and dental coverage
- Generous paid time off
- Retirement plan options
- A culture that encourages work-life balance
- State of Connecticut is an eligible Public Service Loan Forgiveness employer, meaning you may be eligible to have qualifying student loans forgiven after 10 years of service. Click here for more information.
Join an award winning agency! CT DOT has been recently awarded the Employer of the Year award by the Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers (CSCE)!
This position will assist the Material Evaluation and Specification Unit's (MESU’s) Transportation Materials Technician 3 staff regarding inspection and testing of materials and structures used in the construction of transportation facilities. Specific duties associated with this position may be the inspection and/or testing of Hot Mix Asphalt, Portland Cement Concrete, Precast Concrete Elements, Structural Steel and their components.
Incumbents in this class will be eligible for promotion, to the Transportation Technician, upon successful completion of the one (1) year training program.
- Monday - Friday
- Full-time (40 hours per week)
- First shift
- Location: Rocky Hill, CT
- This is an Office/On-site position.
- This position requires a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location or shift.
In order to receive educational credits toward qualification for this job posting, the institution must be accredited. If the institution of higher learning is located outside of the U.S., you are responsible for providing documentation from a recognized USA accrediting service which specializes in determining foreign education equivalencies to the recruiter listed on this job posting.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
- Please visit our "Applicant Tips on How to Apply" page.
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Frank DeCusati at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860-713-5176.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation, this class is accountable for receiving on-the-job training in performing basic technical work in support of transportation projects.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
General knowledge of basic construction methods and materials; skill in use of construction related equipment and instruments and computer applications; ability in performing mathematical computations; ability to create, read and interpret scales, diagrams, plans, specifications and drawings; ability to prepare accurate drawings.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience involving the inspection of transportation construction projects; or testing of transportation materials; or bridge safety inspection.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training in Construction Management, Engineering Technology, Construction Technology, Civil Engineering Technology or closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of two (2) years for an Associate's degree.
2. Possession of at least Level II certification, from the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET), in one of the following Civil Engineering Technology Programs may be substituted for the General Experience:
a. Transportation Construction Inspection Program - Highway Construction Inspection
b. Construction Materials Testing Program - Asphalt or Concrete
c. Transportation Program - Highway Materials, Highway Construction Inspection or Bridge Safety Inspection.
- Experience with Microsoft 365
- Experience creating spreadsheets, inputting data, and creating graphs with Microsoft Excel
- Experience performing mathematical computations and preparing engineering-related documents, such as material testing reports and inspection reports
- Experience working independently and as part of a team
- Experience communicating verbally and in writing with teammates and stakeholders of varying levels
- Experience with construction project management software applications, such as AASHTOWare Project Construction & Materials
- Possession of Asphalt Plant Technician Certification from the NorthEast Transportation Training and Certification Program (NETTCP)
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some danger of injury or physical harm from highway or construction environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from exposure to year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.